Wednesday 26 December 2012

What Does It Mean Being Natural

                                                   What does It Mean Being  Natural

So I was sharing my facebook page a couple of days ago with some friends.It was great but of course you do get those who aren't in support of what you do.

I thought to myself what does it mean being natural.These are some questions I think I need to clear out .I have done all the research I needed to do to be giving you a well informed answer based on my opinion and on what I believe is natural to me.

 A lot of scholars have put in a lot of information as to why African women relax and straighten their hair. The term relaxed means to perm .The word perm is derived from the term permanent wave.

This means applying a certain cream and or thick white base to the hair. This base contains a strong chemical that penetrates through the curly hair making it softer and turns out to be straight. A very dangerous toxic chemical is added in some of these mixtures that when applied to the hair for a few hours longer it will burn your scalp leaving a bald patch. Some of these chemicals contain a very high pH which means they perform better and faster but initially harm your entire curl pattern and scalp. According to Chris Rocks documentary film on “Bad Hair” many women have become aware of the dangers of what these chemicals do put many industries continue to have a large market share.

This is the very same reason why I stopped using chemicals in my hair.On numerous occasions I would get a  burnt and  damaged  scalp, experience breakage and never any good results with length.I am not here to put anybody out of business.This is just simply my preference and I have a very solid reason as to why.Even when I had a damaged scalp I would still find myself perming my hair,I mean I literally had no hair.At this point I can boldly say that society has such a big influence on people on what they wear and what your hair should look like.Now you can call be deviant if you would like but think about it,is it worth all the pain.



This is what happens when you have that perm in there for too long
I am sure a number of people have experienced something like this in their life time.I know I have.

So if I want to go ahead and wear braids or put on a weave in my hair of course I will.These are all protective styles that you can wear to cover your own hair from the cold especially in the winter when its snowing or when your just simply tired of dealing with your hair. Dont go around talking as if your uninformed go out there and attain the required information before you judge other natural people out there.

Anyway on a great note my hair is growing strong and healthy. 9months
Happy Holidays!!




Disclaimer
(I claim no credit for any images featured on this site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to it's respectful owners. If you own rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear here, please contact me and they will be promptly removed).


No comments:

Post a Comment